Tuesday 3 September 2024
6.30pm - 9.00pm, Trade Area, Rydges
Fashionomics is QMB's signature social event, and has grown to be the social highlight of the conference. With $1000's of prizes to be given away, you would be crazy not to enter.
We encourage you all to dream up some fashion spin-offs from your laboratories, however simple or strange. Start thinking about interesting and unique lab-inspired costumes, and as always, last-minute improvisation is fine, if not expected. Be creative, be bold and don't be afraid to show off your talent(s). If you can't think of anything ingenious, simply dress up your supervisor in something comical, they won't say no, and you are probably very eager to do it.
The contest involves several key steps:
1. Scanning the laboratory to identify everyday laboratory items that could be incorporated into a potentially wearable garment.
2. Using these laboratory items to design and produce a garment that would be at home on the catwalks of London and Milan.
3. To find someone brave and/or presentable enough to model the above said item. Alternatively tell your supervisor that you will quit if he/she doesn't front up.
4. Entries close one day ahead of Fashionomics. To ensure you are entered, you will need to produce and provide a legible commentary describing the garment, and the thoughts behind its creation and some personal details about the model if necessary. The description should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. This entertaining description will be read out by the MC as the model and outfit (hopefully together) are making their way up and down the catwalk to widespread admiration.
5. The QRW organisers retain the right to deny entry if they deem either the commentary or costume are potentially offensive to our diverse audience. Costumes will be vetted immediately before the event.